[CentOS] Installing on partitionable RAID arrays

Thu Mar 26 20:09:32 UTC 2009
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

D Tucny wrote:

>      > ...
>      >>  Not only do you
>      >> have to execute 4 times as much commands, reconstruction of the 4
>      >> arrays will take place in parallel leading to slow disk access
>     during
>      >> reconstruction.
>      >
>      > Is this right?
>      >
>      > When I have replaced a disk and added several partitions
>      > to an array, the rebuild is done one partition at a time.
>      >
>      > The /proc/mdstat would say "delayed" on the partitiones
>      > waiting.
>      >
>      > Mogens
>
>     I must be mistaken then, it's been a long time since I've used
>     regular md devices.
>

> I can confirm this and furthermore, the default sync max transfer rate
> is very low for modern disks, so unless you've increased it to speed up
> sync or you have a very heavy disk workload, it's probably not going to
> impact normal disk access that much...
>
> That said... I'd much prefer partitionable arrays from a management
> point of view... It's how all the hardware solutions work and they can't
> all be wrong ;)

And if someone is thinking of changing things, what would really be nice
would be a default install on a single disk where you could add the
mirror disk later and sync it in.   Is that possible?

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com