[CentOS] Installing on partitionable RAID arrays

Thu Mar 26 20:40:25 UTC 2009
Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com>

on 3-26-2009 12:50 PM D Tucny spake the following:
> 2009/3/27 RedShift <redshift at pandora.be
> <mailto:redshift at pandora.be>>
>
>     Mogens Kjaer wrote:
>     > RedShift wrote:
>     > ...
>     >>  Not only do you
>     >> have to execute 4 times as much commands, reconstruction of the 4
>     >> arrays will take place in parallel leading to slow disk access during
>     >> reconstruction.
>     >
>     > Is this right?
>     >
>     > When I have replaced a disk and added several partitions
>     > to an array, the rebuild is done one partition at a time.
>     >
>     > The /proc/mdstat would say "delayed" on the partitiones
>     > waiting.
>     >
>     > Mogens
>
>     I must be mistaken then, it's been a long time since I've used
>     regular md devices.
>

> I can confirm this and furthermore, the default sync max transfer rate
> is very low for modern disks, so unless you've increased it to speed up
> sync or you have a very heavy disk workload, it's probably not going to
> impact normal disk access that much...
>
> That said... I'd much prefer partitionable arrays from a management
> point of view... It's how all the hardware solutions work and they can't
> all be wrong ;)

And it would make it easier for a single hot-spare to be available to several
arrays that were configured differently.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and