[CentOS] live audio feed via telephone link

Mon Mar 30 21:30:33 UTC 2009
JohnS <jses27 at gmail.com>

On Mon, 2009-03-30 at 22:34 +0200, Michel Daggelinckx wrote:
> John R Pierce wrote:
> > Les Mikesell wrote:
> >
> > > It sounds like this location is just begging for wimax or some other
> > > suitable internet service.  What kind of place can support a radio
> > > station but not an internet presence these days?
> > >

> > the original poster indicated the FM station was on an American Indian
> > reservation in a very remote canyon, and the ONLY phone lines available
> > were 2 pairs of LONG haul copper POTS lines, one currently used by the
> > stations telephone service, the other available for modem use.   They
> > are using a microwave link to get from the station to the hilltop
> > transmitter, but that the nearest 'real' town with a telephone CO that
> > would support any sort of real internet service is way too far away for
> > FM reception, even with a directional yagi.

> these pages are in dutch but maybe you can contact these guy's to see
> if they can help with your problem.
> they sucessfully made a 42KM wifi link and are going to try a 102KM
> link with standard wifi gear and grid antenna's
>
> info at wirelessantwerpen.be
>
> In the unlikely case they don't speak english i can translate for you
---

For what that guy will spend in that, that is just crazy. But still a
good idea non the less. Here's the solution...

Two - Way Satellite Up and Down. There will be at least a half a second
delay. The OP will be able to stream the FM signal to the Web his self
with his own server. He can take a direct AF[1]output to a sound card
input into the server from the FM transmitter. If the OP runs the
station he will know what an AF[1] output is and will need an attenuator
between the two. There are a many Linux Apps that can pickup an
AF[1]audio output into a sound card.

The only drawback to this is the Sat Connection cost fee per month.
Being this is on a "indian reservation" I would seriously look into
government grants for this if I were the Project Manager (technology
grants).  The only company I really know is Motorola that can provide a
hardware solution for this type of solution.

1- [AF] audio frequency

JohnStanley