[CentOS] live audio feed via telephone link

Tue Mar 31 02:39:22 UTC 2009
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

JohnS wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-03-30 at 22:34 +0200, Michel Daggelinckx wrote:
>> John R Pierce wrote:

>>> the original poster indicated the FM station was on an American Indian
>>> reservation in a very remote canyon, and the ONLY phone lines available
>>> were 2 pairs of LONG haul copper POTS lines, one currently used by the
>>> stations telephone service, the other available for modem use.   They
>>> are using a microwave link to get from the station to the hilltop
>>> transmitter, but that the nearest 'real' town with a telephone CO that
>>> would support any sort of real internet service is way too far away for
>>> FM reception, even with a directional yagi.
>
>> these pages are in dutch but maybe you can contact these guy's to see
>> if they can help with your problem.
>> they sucessfully made a 42KM wifi link and are going to try a 102KM
>> link with standard wifi gear and grid antenna's
>>
>> info at wirelessantwerpen.be
>>
>> In the unlikely case they don't speak english i can translate for you
> ---
>
> For what that guy will spend in that, that is just crazy. But still a
> good idea non the less. Here's the solution...
>
> Two - Way Satellite Up and Down. There will be at least a half a second
> delay. The OP will be able to stream the FM signal to the Web his self
> with his own server. He can take a direct AF[1]output to a sound card
> input into the server from the FM transmitter. If the OP runs the
> station he will know what an AF[1] output is and will need an attenuator
> between the two. There are a many Linux Apps that can pickup an
> AF[1]audio output into a sound card.
>
> The only drawback to this is the Sat Connection cost fee per month.
> Being this is on a "indian reservation" I would seriously look into
> government grants for this if I were the Project Manager (technology
> grants).  The only company I really know is Motorola that can provide a
> hardware solution for this type of solution.
>
> 1- [AF] audio frequency

There are some satellite internet providers that might work too, but the
consumer-priced versions like Starband and Wildblue have usage caps on
their normal plans so you'd have to work something out.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com