[CentOS] I see 5.3 ISO images on the mirrors

Tue Mar 31 23:57:43 UTC 2009
Gilbert Sebenste <sebenste at weather.admin.niu.edu>

On Tue, 31 Mar 2009, Lanny Marcus wrote:

>> You don't need to change anything.  'yum update' will update things,
>> within a given major release (eg 4.x or 5.x).  It will happen
>> automagically.  Going from 4.x to 5.x requires using the installer (eg
>> the ISOs and a reboot with the installer CD/DVD). I don't know if it is
>> possible (or advisable) to do a major release update with yum.
>
> Maybe possible, but usually/always strongly discouraged, by upstream
> and the CentOS team, to upgrade from one major release to another.
> Best to BACKUP and install fresh.

I agree. I was with Redhat starting with 6, and left after Fedora 9 got
too restrictive with things. I have done upgrades, and it wasn't pretty,
between major releases. Going from CentOS 5.2 to 5.3 is most worthy of
doing a backup, no matter what.

> The caution about first updating glibc (?) is important. I recall from
> the  update to 5.2, there is a difference, between "yum upgrade" and
> "yum update". I believe "yum upgrade" is a better way to go from 5.2
> to 5.3.    *BACKUP*, read the Release Notes and then you are ready to
> roll. Probably the standard CentOS Repos that you have from the
> original install will do it.

OK, sounds good. Thanks, everyone!