[CentOS] Dual-booting CentOS and WinXP

Ned Slider ned at unixmail.co.uk
Thu May 14 14:41:02 UTC 2009

Sorin Srbu wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> You know how I asked about procedures to build a dual-boot system with
> CentOS and WinXP a while ago? Well, I I've begun with a test machine.
>
> What I had from start was a working CentOS 5.3 32b system. What I did was to
> just add another empty drive configured as slave and then boot from the
> Windows install cd.
>
> The most curious thing happened now, I get a blank screen after the Windows
> installer screen saying something about "Setting up install procedure..."
> just at the beginning. That is to say, this happens only if the hd with
> CentOS is connected to power. If I disconnect the power connector to the
> CentOS drive, the Windows installer happily goes on.
>
> Is this to be expected, that Windows won't install if it sees a hd with
> another OS as master?
>
> Thanks for any hints.

It's a known issue - I've seen it affecting other distro's (Fedora in my
case). It's a Windows XP thing, not specific to the distro, and only
affects WinXP afaik (doesn't affect Win2K, couldn't care less about
Vista). I first came across it trying to install WinXP on a system that
had previously had Fedora on it and the installer hangs at a black
screen. The "solution" is to do as you've done and disconnect the drive.
If it's a single drive system, then install Windows first for dual
booting, or if you just want to reinstall Windows over the top of a
previous Linux installation then remove all Linux partitions with fdisk
first.