[CentOS] IBM ServeRAID Manager software

Drew drew.kay at gmail.com
Fri May 29 13:40:33 UTC 2009

>> To make it short: Have a x345 here with ServeRAID ?? (Adaptec
>> ASR-2020S). As soon as I realized I have to install additional SW and
>> the HBA has no decent BIOS, I ripped it out of the machine and went mdadm.
>
> The x345 seems to be a bad example, the speed on the ServeRaid adapter
> in there really sucked, I am seeing better throughput with mdadm on
> there too.
>
> With other machines I really didn't have problems with ServeRaid, except
> if you suddenly get one of those ServeRaid cards which can only do
> RAID1 or RAID0 :)

The 7k model on this one does RAID 5 and the two non-standard 5E & 5EE
versions. The performance on the contoller is not bad given that the
RAID is hung off either the PCI-X133 or PCI-E busses (forget which).
Both CentOS & Win2k03 performance is adequate.

As an aside, I'm still running tests on Samba 3 as a AD domain member
and aside from having to chmod 777 the root of the fileshare to allow
the ACL's to work properly everything is fine. But that's an issue for
another list.

--
Drew

--Marie Curie