[CentOS] CentOS 5.3 installation on HP DL380 R05 server

Wed May 13 03:31:51 UTC 2009
Joseph L. Casale <JCasale at activenetwerx.com>

>- Does CentOS 5.3 work smoothly with HP DL380 server especially
>recognizing SAS disks and hardware RAID-1 features? >From you
>experience, do you have to use HP Storage Drivers provided for
>RedHat Enterprise Linux 5?

I have a few of those G5's and they will work fine, CentOS has
the needed drivers. You currently can't even use the PSP for updated
block device driver as it doesn't support anything other than the
base kernel AFAIK. The PSP will allow System Management and SNMP
but I doubt you are using these features.

>- How is HP hardware RAID-1's performance? Should I use HP's
>hardware RAID or software RAID in this case?

Yeah, it works well. Use it, it's far less trouble than software raid
and that controller will have fairly good performance.

HTH,
jlc