[CentOS] CentOS 5.3 installation on HP DL380 R05 server

Wed May 13 04:03:41 UTC 2009
nate <centos at linuxpowered.net>

Nguyen Hai Chau wrote:
> Hi All
>

> I will need to install CentOS 5.3 on HP DL380 R05 server with RAID-1
> required. I am a newbie to CentOS / HP servers, need your help:

The specs look like a DL380 G5, perhaps that is the same as the
"R05". As another poster mentioned it should work fine. I used
CentOS 4.4 on DL380G5s about a year and a half ago without issue
either.

My only suggestion is to either install over a serial connection
with the iLO or configure a serial console after you install as
the iLO 2 standard license does not allow VGA connectivity after
the bios POSTs, unlike previous iLOs. Remote serial console
is unrestricted however. Of course this is a non issue if you
don't use iLO or have an advanced license key. You can get free
30 day iLO license keys from HP's website. Also at least at
the time remote VGA console was not available via SSH, only
remote serial console. iLO 1 provided limited remote VGA in
text modes via SSH. So that's another reason to stick to serial,
faster to get to the console via ssh than it is via a web browser
typically.

And by all means stick to the HP hardware RAID, especially if
you have the battery backed cache, much better than software
raid.

The DL380G5s are great boxes, I do miss mine(had them at my
previous company, new company is Dell..)

nate