[CentOS] Video on (video-capable digital) still camera not accessible

Fri May 22 17:33:20 UTC 2009
Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com>

on 5-22-2009 7:22 AM Lanny Marcus spake the following:
> On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 1:16 PM, MHR <mhullrich-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> I'm looking for any intelligent commentary on this - it may be a
>> little off topic, but I'm wondering if anyone knows about this. �This
>> isn't short, so bear with me.
>>
>> Yesterday, I tried to download a video off of one of my digital still
>> cameras that also takes videos (Canon Powershot SX10 iS) on my CentOS
>> x86_64 5.3 system. �When I plugged the camera into a USB port and
>> turned it on, it showed no images available, AND no device showed up
> <snip>
> Our  digital still camera is a very low end Canon PowerShot A460. Your
> camera may employ different technology, so YMMV.  A few minutes ago, I
> made 3 test videos, each a few seconds in length.  I am using CentOS
> 5.3 (32 bit, fully updated) and the GNOME Desktop. After I connected
> the camera to a USB port and I turned on the camera, it was detected,
> immediately, by the same Ap that imports still photos from the camera.
>  I imported the 3 .avi files and was able to play each of them,
> perfectly, using the Totem Movie Player. Your camera is producing
> video files with a different file extension? Our Samsung DVD Camcorder
> produces .vob files and in order to upload them to YouTube, I had to
> rename them to .jpg or .jpeg or something. But if you cannot download
> the video files from your digital still camera to your PC, you do not
> have the opportunity to convert them to another file format or rename
> them to a different file extension. GL
Renaming a file does not change its makeup. Just because you rename a .vob
file to .jpg, doesn't make it a jpeg. It just makes it a mis-named vob file.