[CentOS] Video on (video-capable digital) still camera not accessible

Fri May 22 18:00:25 UTC 2009
MHR <mhullrich at gmail.com>

On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 10:33 AM, Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com> wrote:

> Renaming a file does not change its makeup. Just because you rename a .vob
> file to .jpg, doesn't make it a jpeg. It just makes it a mis-named vob file.

Realizing this, I would love to have the opportunity to rename the
files (they're .mov files - quicktime format, I believe), but the
problem is that they don't show up in the Import Photos app, and
they're otherwise (so far) completely inaccessible.

I tried using my card reader again (I may have said this already), but
the "drives" won't mount (the reader shows up as 2 drives - CF and MM,
which is similar to SD) under CentOS, and my WinXP guest also can't do
anything with them - XP recognizes that <something> is there, but
nothing shows up in the explorer (or My Computer), and all I can do is
dismount the <blank> <something>s.

I _can_ play the videos on the camera, but when I try to do that while
connected to the computer, the camera blanks out and powers off.  I
even tried to dd from /dev/sdd and /dev/sdd1 (based on the dmesg
output), and it says there's no such file.  I put in fresh batteries -
nothing.

?????

mhr