[CentOS] Samba Question

Fri May 22 18:37:37 UTC 2009
Fabian Arrotin <fabian.arrotin at arrfab.net>

Bo Lynch wrote:
> Hopefully very easy question to answer. I am trying to migrate data of of
> a samba server that is using winbind joined to a windows domain to another
> box. What samba or winbind files do I need so that this will resolve to
> names rather than UID and GID. For example........
> drwxr-x--- 1049  10926                  10005 36864 May 15 11:46 Student

If you mean that you migrate data from one samba server to another *non*
samba machine it depends how your newly machine is/will be configured.
Is the samba domain ADS based ? have you used the idmap_rid feature ? (a
*must* when having multiple linux/unix machines using winbind in a AD
domain to have a consistent id/sid mapping accross all the samba
machines instead of the 'first come, first serve' id from from idmap pool) .
If not, don't forget that even if you configure winbind/samba the same
way it was on the old machine, the uid/gid map will never be the same
(except when using idmap_rid directly)
So my advice is just to backup the permissions on the old machine (with
getfacl) , rsync the data, join the new machine to the domain, and
restores permissions back (with setfacl --restore)

Fabian Arrotin
  idea=`grep -i clue /dev/brain`
  test -z "$idea" && echo "sorry, init 6 in progress" || sh ./answer.sh