[CentOS] Samba Question

Sat May 23 16:38:27 UTC 2009
JohnS <jses27 at gmail.com>

On Fri, 2009-05-22 at 20:37 +0200, Fabian Arrotin wrote:
> Bo Lynch wrote:
> > Hopefully very easy question to answer. I am trying to migrate data of of
> > a samba server that is using winbind joined to a windows domain to another
> > box. What samba or winbind files do I need so that this will resolve to
> > names rather than UID and GID. For example........
> > drwxr-x--- 1049  10926                  10005 36864 May 15 11:46 Student
> >

> If you mean that you migrate data from one samba server to another *non*
> samba machine it depends how your newly machine is/will be configured.
> Is the samba domain ADS based ? have you used the idmap_rid feature ? (a
> *must* when having multiple linux/unix machines using winbind in a AD
> domain to have a consistent id/sid mapping accross all the samba
> machines instead of the 'first come, first serve' id from from idmap pool) .
> If not, don't forget that even if you configure winbind/samba the same
> way it was on the old machine, the uid/gid map will never be the same
> (except when using idmap_rid directly)
> So my advice is just to backup the permissions on the old machine (with
> getfacl) , rsync the data, join the new machine to the domain, and
> restores permissions back (with setfacl --restore)
---
What about the Old Samba SID Number? He will need that also. There is a
whole section of a couple pages explaining on how to do this in "Samba 3
Howto.pdf" from samba.org. He is much better off reading it himself than
anyone trying to explain it to him. He also needs to take into
consideration of my previous post to him if that is the case also.

JohnStanley