[CentOS] resolving names it is really slow slow with CentOS5.x using named

Mon May 25 16:04:43 UTC 2009
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

carlopmart wrote:

>>> Thanks Les, but I have checked it before post this problem. Ubuntu and CentOS
>>> have the same file to do querys to root servers ...
>> And the results of 'dig' on each?
>>
>>> I have find a temporary solution: reduce the MTU on CentOS server (1440) ...I
>>> need to investigate why centOS loses some packages and ubuntu doesn't ....
>> Are you routing through tunnels?
>>

> No, all hosts (firewall and CentOS DNS server) are connected to GByte network.

That's not where the problem is. Since you are working with forwarding
on, the problem has to be when you try to go directly to the internet
over UDP so it would be at the firewall or border router.  When DNS
fails, it will retry with TCP and that might be why it eventually works.
   Is there anything in the path to the internet that needs a lower MTU
(perhaps a DNS line running PPOE)?  Or do you have jumbo packets enabled
on your Gig NIC?  And if you do need a small MTU, do you have firewalls
blocking the ICMP messages that are required to discover that automatically?

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com