[CentOS] resolving names it is really slow slow with CentOS5.x using named

Mon May 25 16:18:14 UTC 2009
carlopmart <carlopmart at gmail.com>

Les Mikesell wrote:

>>> And the results of 'dig' on each?

>>> Are you routing through tunnels?
>>>

>> No, all hosts (firewall and CentOS DNS server) are connected to GByte network.
>
> That's not where the problem is. Since you are working with forwarding
> on, the problem has to be when you try to go directly to the internet
> over UDP so it would be at the firewall or border router.  When DNS
> fails, it will retry with TCP and that might be why it eventually works.

That's not possible, because firewall only permits DNS querys over UDP ...

>    Is there anything in the path to the internet that needs a lower MTU
> (perhaps a DNS line running PPOE)?  Or do you have jumbo packets enabled
> on your Gig NIC?

No, but firewalls have a mtu configured with 1450 on external interfaces ...

  And if you do need a small MTU, do you have firewalls
> blocking the ICMP messages that are required to discover that automatically?

Yes, ICMP messages are blocked on firewall, but are blocked for all hosts:
centos dns servers, ubuntu servers, windows servers ... i don't understand why
using Ubuntu or windows servers to resolve names works ok and with centos (and
with either rhel5. I have just check it) doesn't ...

--
CL Martinez
carlopmart {at} gmail {d0t} com