[CentOS] Upgrade GTK2 from 2.10 to 2.12 ?

Wed May 27 11:38:44 UTC 2009
Radu-Cristian FOTESCU <beranger5ca at yahoo.ca>

--- On Wed, 5/27/09, Niki Kovacs <contact at kikinovak.net> wrote:

> Some of them require GTK2 2.12 to build, so I'm
> considering a (careful) upgrade of this package.
>
> General question: 1) how "safe" is it to upgrade this
> package? To do so, I'd use an SRPM from Fedora.
> 2) What could I possible "break" on a
> vanilla CentOS install by doing this?

Niki, what would be those applications? I personally find GIMP 2.2 as "too obsolete", and this is because some algorithms are improved in GIMP 2.4 (no, I don't need GIMP 2.6, which is btw somewhat buggier).

OTOH, I've found on the forums that GIMP 2.4 would build with GTK+ 2.10.13, whereas CentOS 5 comes with GTK+ 2.10.4 only :-(

See:
http://centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=11086

As a personal opinion, I suppose Firefox might be the first to be affected by a GTK+2 upgrade, as it seems quite fragile.

Stupid question: would it be possible to build those applications (e.g. a newer GIMP, for instance) with STATIC builds of some newer libs, y compris gtk2? This way the newer libs shouldn't be used by anybody else, so they shouldn't break anything, right?

Cheers,
R-C