[CentOS] NTFS and elrepo

Akemi Yagi amyagi at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 12:48:14 UTC 2009

On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 5:49 PM, Akemi Yagi <amyagi at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 5:46 PM, Ron Loftin <reloftin at twcny.rr.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, 2009-11-01 at 17:38 -0800, Akemi Yagi wrote:
>>> Looks like you are doing everything just fine.  Perhaps, we should
>>> move this conversation to the ELRepo mailing list because this is now
>>> all about kmod-ntfs and not all members of the ELRepo team are reading
>>> this mailing list on a regular basis.
>>> What do you think?
>> I think that I just signed up for the ELRepo mailing list.  I will post
>> my last message there ( unless you think more of the background is
>> useful ) and see what turns up.
> Adding the link to your original post of this thread will help:
> http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2009-November/084896.html

This is just a followup post for those who would like to know how this
conversation developed. The details are in this ELRepo mailing list

In short, the write support offered by the kernel (hence kmod-ntfs) is
quite limited.  Alan Bartlett pointed to this section of the kernel
Kconfig file:

"The only supported operation is overwriting existing files, without
changing the file length. No file or directory creation, deletion or
renaming is possible. Note only non-resident files can be written to
so you may find that some very small files (<500 bytes or so) cannot
be written to."

Conclusion is, if you need to write to NTFS, you should use ntfs-3g.