[CentOS] NTFS and elrepo

Akemi Yagi amyagi at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 12:48:14 UTC 2009

On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 5:49 PM, Akemi Yagi <amyagi at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 5:46 PM, Ron Loftin <reloftin at twcny.rr.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, 2009-11-01 at 17:38 -0800, Akemi Yagi wrote:
>>>
>>> Looks like you are doing everything just fine.  Perhaps, we should
>>> move this conversation to the ELRepo mailing list because this is now
>>> all about kmod-ntfs and not all members of the ELRepo team are reading
>>> this mailing list on a regular basis.

>>> What do you think?
>>
>> I think that I just signed up for the ELRepo mailing list.  I will post
>> my last message there ( unless you think more of the background is
>> useful ) and see what turns up.
>
> Adding the link to your original post of this thread will help:
>
> http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2009-November/084896.html

This is just a followup post for those who would like to know how this
conversation developed. The details are in this ELRepo mailing list
thread:

http://lists.elrepo.org/pipermail/elrepo/2009-November/000102.html

In short, the write support offered by the kernel (hence kmod-ntfs) is
quite limited.  Alan Bartlett pointed to this section of the kernel
Kconfig file:

"The only supported operation is overwriting existing files, without
changing the file length. No file or directory creation, deletion or
renaming is possible. Note only non-resident files can be written to
so you may find that some very small files (<500 bytes or so) cannot
be written to."

Conclusion is, if you need to write to NTFS, you should use ntfs-3g.

Akemi