[CentOS] Spacewalk or Puppet?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 21:36:14 UTC 2009

nate wrote:

> I feel for ya if you have to support both windows and linux,
> I used to have to do that myself, but fortunately got out
> of that rut years ago.

There are things that just have to work together and across platforms,
like the inventory, monitoring, and capacity tracking so I automatically
see it as going the wrong direction to even consider something that
locks you into a single OS or vendor.  I'd like to promote greater linux
use, but can't unless the tools interoperate well and so far
ocsinventory and clonezilla are about the only ones that do.

> People don't even come to me with
> windows questions anymore because I'm so out of touch with
> it. Only so many brain cells and I'd rather spend them on
> more valuable things(networking, storage, virtualization,
> HA, scalability etc)

Well, there's always java, in spite of the damage Red Hat has done to it
by shipping a broken imitation for years.  Maybe hardware has gotten to
the point where the overhead doesn't matter.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com