[CentOS] Recommend Mail Server

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 17:47:09 UTC 2009

Susan Day wrote:
> Hi;
> I don't want sendmail. What's a good secure email server that I can yum?
> I really only need smtp right now, but who knows what the future will bring?

Postfix is probably a reasonable choice, but I'm curious as to how you
reached the decision that you don't want to use the standard,
mostly-preconfigured tool without already knowing anything about the
other choices.  Sendmail may have a long history of exploits back in the
day with it was monolithic and ran as root, but now it is probably the
most carefully audited piece of code shipped in the distribution.  The
milter interface developed for sendmail (and now also implemented in
postfix) lets you add functionality that wasn't designed in, so it is
hard to imagine a mail job or environment that either couldn't handle.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com