[CentOS] Recommend Mail Server

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Mon Nov 23 23:49:40 UTC 2009

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Susan Day wrote:
>
>> Hi;
>> I don't want sendmail. What's a good secure email server that I can yum?
>> I really only need smtp right now, but who knows what the future will bring?
>>

> Postfix is probably a reasonable choice, but I'm curious as to how you
> reached the decision that you don't want to use the standard,
> mostly-preconfigured tool without already knowing anything about the
> other choices.  Sendmail may have a long history of exploits back in the
> day with it was monolithic and ran as root, but now it is probably the
> most carefully audited piece of code shipped in the distribution.  The
> milter interface developed for sendmail (and now also implemented in
> postfix) lets you add functionality that wasn't designed in, so it is
> hard to imagine a mail job or environment that either couldn't handle.

I don't see sendmailX on Centos at the moment...do you? It is therefore
still monolithic as far as Centos is concerned.

postfix comes with mysql/postgresql support and with connection pooling
at that and which can be used directly in a lot of built-in features of
postfix. Unless the supporting stuff in the milters are as efficient as
what you can get in postfix, sendmail + milters might be hard pressed to
handle some environments that postfix can.