[CentOS] Recommend Mail Server

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Tue Nov 24 03:29:18 UTC 2009

Craig White wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-11-24 at 11:00 +0800, Christopher Chan wrote:
>
>> Ian Forde wrote:
>>
>>> On Nov 23, 2009, at 5:34 PM, Christopher Chan
>>> <christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk

>>> In the case of a mail relay, at one point  years back I decided to
>>> drop (not bounce) all email to bogus recipients at the relay level
>>> rather than let it get to (yuck) Exchange, which would bounce it. The
>>> trick was having an updated recipient list. My first thought was to
>>> query Active Directory for each user, thus getting an up-to-date result.
>>>
>>> This turned out to be a *bad* idea for a couple of reasons. 1) if I
>>> can't reach AD, mail won't queue up on the relays, which is one of
>>> their major functions. 2) I'm making the relays directly dependent on
>>> AD latency. 3) any flood of email from outside can cause a large
>>> amount of queries against AD, causing a DOS that the relays are
>>> supposed to shield the internal network from.
>>>
>>> So instead, I found a script to gather the list of users from AD, did
>>> some modifications and wrote some wrappers. The result? A script that
>>> runs from cron to get the list of valid addresses, convert them into
>>> an access file that sendmail (or postfix, in the first case years ago)
>>> can use instead. There's a little more latency, but as long as I do
>>> some sanity checking (too many changes? Send an alert and don't change
>>> the access file) it works just fine. Ldap-based, yes. But loosely
>>> coupled. A good compromise in my experience...
>>>
>> Precisely why a buffer like this for sites with a very large user base
>> might want to use cdb. postfix supports cdb and sendmail can get cdb
>> support from sf.net/sendmail-cdb. Both need the tinycdb library though.
>> Even mysql/postgresql could do with a break for legit users.
>>
> ----
> considering that LDAP is optimized for high amounts of read and minimal
> writes, the problem with any SMTP daemon querying an LDAP server getting
> bogged down suggests that other problems are at hand and should be
> solved. I mean if the primary user/authentication system can't handle
> the load, you got problems.

I was trumpeting postfix's mysql/postgresql support and then Les says
LDAP is the way to go and then I point out that LDAP don't like heavy
write environments and you are starting the circle again.

/me tramples LDAP underfoot, gets a horse to trample LDAP, gets a tank
to complete the job.

LDAP ain't THE SOLUTION for everything you know.

> I admire the workarounds but damn, you have to solve the problems anyway
> because this surely isn't the only place where this is a problem.

Ian pointed how he needs to 'replicate' a local copy of user 'accounts'
from Exchange so that he does not kill Exchange. I just pointed out that
this sort of thing can be done also for sites with a very large user
base that will want something that is more efficient that Berkeley DB.
You can chain lookups in postfix. Check cdb, then check
mysql/postgresql. If the account exists in the cdb, then there is no
need to check mysql/postgresql. So essentially only non-existent
addresses and recently created addresses will result in hits to
mysql/postgresql. This is not a work around. This is performance
enhancement. Whacking a local cdb will be faster than whacking a
mysql/postgresql database. Geez.