[CentOS] Recommend Mail Server

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 04:26:00 UTC 2009

Christopher Chan wrote:

> Ian pointed how he needs to 'replicate' a local copy of user 'accounts'
> from Exchange so that he does not kill Exchange. I just pointed out that
> this sort of thing can be done also for sites with a very large user
> base that will want something that is more efficient that Berkeley DB.

There might be a few places big enough where using cdb vs. the built in bdb for
the virtuser table would matter.  But very few.

> You can chain lookups in postfix. Check cdb, then check
> mysql/postgresql. If the account exists in the cdb, then there is no
> need to check mysql/postgresql. So essentially only non-existent
> addresses and recently created addresses will result in hits to
> mysql/postgresql. This is not a work around. This is performance
> enhancement. Whacking a local cdb will be faster than whacking a
> mysql/postgresql database. Geez.

If you have a reasonably fast internal mailer you can just let mimedefang on
your external relay check against it with smtp in real time.  Exchange isn't one
of those, though.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com