[CentOS] adding SAN "diskspace" to CentOS system residing on VMware

Mon Nov 2 16:32:02 UTC 2009
Kwan Lowe <kwan.lowe at gmail.com>

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 2:10 PM, ken <gebser at mousecar.com> wrote:
[snip]
> The OS is already residing on a logical volume.  Is there any compelling
> reason to bringing the new partition into lvm (aside from the ease of
> resizing it... something I don't anticipate us doing)?  Or should I
> simply create an ext3 partition and mount that?

Using LVMs also gives you a lot of flexibility in moving volumes
around. For example, you may later upgrade your SAN. If you have LVMs
you can transparently mirror one SAN volume to another and then remove
the original. You can do this with standard partitions, but the
process requires some downtime.

LVMs can allow snapshots, which are quite useful in many situations.