[CentOS] Spacewalk or Puppet?

Wed Nov 4 22:04:49 UTC 2009
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:

>>> People don't even come to me with
>>> windows questions anymore because I'm so out of touch with
>>> it. Only so many brain cells and I'd rather spend them on
>>> more valuable things(networking, storage, virtualization,
>>> HA, scalability etc)
>> Well, there's always java, in spite of the damage Red Hat has done to it
>> by shipping a broken imitation for years.  Maybe hardware has gotten to
>> the point where the overhead doesn't matter.
>>
> No. It matters. And I don't care what version of java, I really dislike
> it, because *it's* broken; or, rather, it failed at what it was supposed
> to do: a) solve the software backlog,

You can't do that with companies shipping broken or non-standard
implementations.  There's not much reason to continue that now.

> and b) it supposedly guaranteed no
> null pointer references, and useful error messages.

Ummm, programmers are clever enough to work around guarantees in most
languages.

> It did not solve the backlog, and after the huuuge stack traces and
> usually unhelpful error messages.... And it eats memory, including the Sun
> implementation. It's just Pascal w/ p-code, revived.

Memory is cheap - thats the last thing to consider these days.  Being
able to farm out arbitrary chunks of processing across platforms is
priceless...  But you do have give up the unix-y idea that it is quick
and cheap to start a new process.

Look at stuff like OpenNMS with distributed monitors, or Hudson as a
distributed build/test platform, or lucene/solr, or the pentaho analysis
tools.  How else can you do any of those things?

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com