[CentOS] Spacewalk or Puppet?

Wed Nov 4 22:29:26 UTC 2009
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

nate wrote:

> It'd be nice if there was a integrated cross platform
> monitoring/management type package that worked well.
> So many have tried, I don't think any have succeeded. It's just
> too complex a task.

So the things that are too complicated for the computers get done by hand...

> At some point maybe I'll get the time to re-visit a trending
> application, my key requirement would be to use a RRD back end,
> be able to store multiple data points in a single file, be able
> to rrds created by other applications and have a nice UI for
> end users. And be scalable, at least 20,000 updates a minute.
>
> I can write/script all of the back end stuff myself but I'm no
> programmer so can't do the front end.

Have you looked at OpenNMS? It's only scaling issue is how fast you can
write the rrd files out.  It can use a pure-java rrd implementation with
a different file format (.jrb) or rrdtool if you prefer.  There's a way
to query the min/max/average for a time range via http if you want to
gather some longer-term values for better-formatted trend watching or
aggregate groups of related instances.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com