[CentOS] Spacewalk or Puppet?

Wed Nov 4 22:47:39 UTC 2009
nate <centos at linuxpowered.net>

Les Mikesell wrote:

> Have you looked at OpenNMS? It's only scaling issue is how fast you can
> write the rrd files out.  It can use a pure-java rrd implementation with
> a different file format (.jrb) or rrdtool if you prefer.  There's a way
> to query the min/max/average for a time range via http if you want to
> gather some longer-term values for better-formatted trend watching or
> aggregate groups of related instances.

Not in a few years, a lot of systems rely on storing only one or
two data points in a file, is OpenNMS like this(still)? I store
upwards of 20 points in a file, drastically improves scalability,
really breaks many of cacti's core assumptions that one data point
is associated to a file.

It looks like OpenNMS has a "store by group" feature to group
data points but no obvious information on what that feature does
specifically and why it may not be enabled by default.

nate