[CentOS] Spacewalk or Puppet?

Wed Nov 4 23:08:11 UTC 2009
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

nate wrote:

>> Have you looked at OpenNMS? It's only scaling issue is how fast you can
>> write the rrd files out.  It can use a pure-java rrd implementation with
>> a different file format (.jrb) or rrdtool if you prefer.  There's a way
>> to query the min/max/average for a time range via http if you want to
>> gather some longer-term values for better-formatted trend watching or
>> aggregate groups of related instances.
>
> Not in a few years, a lot of systems rely on storing only one or
> two data points in a file, is OpenNMS like this(still)? I store
> upwards of 20 points in a file, drastically improves scalability,
> really breaks many of cacti's core assumptions that one data point
> is associated to a file.
>
> It looks like OpenNMS has a "store by group" feature to group
> data points but no obvious information on what that feature does
> specifically and why it may not be enabled by default.

I think it is just that you have to modify the graph settings to match
what happens to the data source - and there's no handy way to convert
existing history.  But, if you are interested you should probably ask on
the OpenNMS list where someone who knows what they are doing might
answer.  There are a lot of people using it in large-scale setups.

It is a lot easier to try OpenNMS than it was a few years ago - now
there is a yum repo that basically 'just works' with Centos, and there's
quite a bit of development work happening on it.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com