[CentOS] bash variable expansion moment

Sun Nov 15 13:23:59 UTC 2009
ken <gebser at mousecar.com>

Joshua,

Thanks for the reply.  But while what you offer would indeed work, but
it's not what I was looking for.

I simplified my example for clarity, was looking to put other text and
variables in Line(), this in order to greatly simplify the code which
calls it.

To rephrase what I'm trying to do:

A function containing environmental variables in one file would be
called in another file.  The function would, then, pass (e.g.) $LINENO
as if it were a literal, but in the line where $Line is invoked it would
be evaluated and the value output.

As said, I'm not sure this can be done at all.  My only grounds for hope
is that bash already does so much so well... I'm constantly amazed at
what can be done with it.  So maybe this is too.

Thanks again for the response.