[CentOS] Disc layout advice

Stephen Harris lists at spuddy.org
Tue Oct 6 18:39:13 UTC 2009

On Tue, Oct 06, 2009 at 05:28:46PM +0000, Joseph L. Casale wrote:
> Should I just pvcreate the raw /dev/md0 and not worry about creating an lvm
> partition on it, or should/(can?) I?

pvcreate is the first step of creating LVM areas.   If you're not going
to use LVM then you don't need to pvcreate.   However I recommend
that you _do_.

Typically the steps are:
  mdadm to create the array  (you've already done that)
  pvcreate the disk (/dev/md0)
  vgcreate a volume group, with /dev/md0 in it
  lvcreate the logical volumes inside the volume group

  pvcreate /dev/md0
  vgcreate MyVolumeGroup /dev/md0
  lvcreate -L 1T MyVolumeGroup MyLVol1
  lvcreate -L 1T MyVolumeGroup MyLVol2
  lvcreate -L 1T MyVolumeGroup MyLVol3
would create 3 1Terabyte logical volumes which could be accessed as
/dev/MyVolumeGroup/MyLVol1 etc etc.  They're what you could run mke2fs
on and mount.

(commands off the top of my head, so might be slightly wrong!)