[CentOS] My doubts with apache server on centos installation

Rob Townley rob.townley at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 08:17:52 UTC 2009

On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 1:46 AM, vijay shanker <vijaydshanker at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Linux geeks,
>
> I have just started to setup a production server with centos; and moved from
> windows server to centos. My first encounter with this great linux distro is
> good.
>
> I am not able to understand what is the point of having scattered folders
> for apache server installation.
>
> when i see the /etc/httpd folder; it has only conf folder and links to logs,
> module and , run. As i have been working on Windows where all these files
> are stored in a single installation folder.
>
> So, this makes me quite confused to start with.
>
> Can anyone tell me what is the idea behind using such a installation
> pattern.
>
> Now i am going to install java, I have two options via RPM and other is
> extracting the distro and use it. i have a feeling if i use first option,
> all the folders like jre and jdk will be palced any where. Not to be found.
>
> Please tell me or point to any relevant link. so i can go ahead without any
> doubt over this issue.
>

> --
> Regards,
> Vijay Shanker

Did it ever make since for everybody and their brother to install
everything under c:\windows\system32\?  That everything in system32
nightmare scares me security wise and functionality wise.  WinVistA
fixes that through file and registry system virtualization - that
means even more places for your files.

Some of the IIS stuff is in the registry and some in metabase and some
in files.  At least with nix, all the locations can be searched with a
single find command - not so in windows.

If you modify something in Linux using a GUI, but need
the text file equivalent, the following command can help.
touch /tmp/now
install your app or make changes using a gui
find / -newer  /tmp/now | grep -v /proc/

There are a few improvements on this, but that can get you started.