[CentOS] CentOS 5.4? anyone?

Neil Aggarwal neil at JAMMConsulting.com
Fri Oct 16 13:00:01 UTC 2009

> Soon means soon ... we have to get the tree stable on many servers
> before we can make it available.  This stuff takes time.

I think this is the major source of this latest flurry
about the release date.

The twitter posting from KB said "soon" and then things
went quiet for 2 days without any additional information
posted.  As a matter of fact, there is still nothing posted
to the blog.

I think most people assume "soon" is sometime that day or
the next. By saying that, KB unfortunately set people's
expectations to a shorter timeframe than what reality needed.

We all understand things take time.  We can all accept that,
but its hard to gauge how long things take when we are
not involved in the process.  We are looking to the developers
to help us set our expectations correctly.

Johnny's post on the centos mirror announce list was a
much better posting:

> The CentOS 5.4 tree will begin syncing out on the CentOS and
>  CentOS-incdvd targets in the next 24-48 hours

That sets people's expectations to a timeframe without
any misinterpretation.

Please do not take this posting as negative or complaining.
I am trying to offer constructive criticism to help avoid
some of these misunderstandings in the future.

	Neil

Will your e-commerce site go offline if you have
a DB server failure, fiber cut, flood, fire, or other disaster?
If so, ask about our geographically redundant database system.