[CentOS] Caught between a Red Hat and a CentOS

Rob Townley rob.townley at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 03:10:12 UTC 2009

On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 3:45 PM, Joseph L. Casale
<JCasale at activenetwerx.com> wrote:
>>which is about as useful as Microsoft Windows support... is it broken?
>>"reinstall windows"....
>
> FFS, this attitude amongst opensource guys that MS is the devil and are
> trying to murder your family or  sabotage your life is such BS.
>
> Take the Tin Foil Hat off and settle down, MS support is easily on par w/
> or *the* best support there is.

i don't believe the statement lambastes MS because "is about as
useful" means about the same.

Remember that windows integration website ( don't remember the name
but related to nLite and ryanvm) shutdown by Microsoft - it made a
great deal of news because they had scripts to take out annoyances
such as balloons popping up in the taskbar.  MS lawyers had them
disbanded.  MS Tech Support asked customers to wipe and reinstall, but
when the "Wireless Networks Found" balloon didn't pop up, they knew
some things had been changed in the windows installation because they
just had the customer wipe and reinstall.  The point i believe the
original poster was making is that "wipe-n-reinstall" is very very
very common everywhere even at MS.

i have been running NT since 3.0? / 3.1 and wondered why anything but
NT ever came out.  i don't think MS is evil but i have wasted too much
time swapping legitimate MS Office CDs when there were multiple MS
Office versions installed.

It takes way too much time to install a windows system from scratch,
configure how you want it,  and then install all the apps on top and
then all the updates and then all the updates to the apps ad nauseam.
Oh, you want to image that harddrive now?  Well you get 3 attempts
with sysprep and then you start all over - no thanks.

There is no comparison to 'yum -y update' -- i have wasted way too
much of my life updating software, hunting down product keys (the COA
on the pc case is hidden under the lock or on a misplaced cd).  In
fact,  depending on which method you get to the 2008R2 activation
screen it will not take your key.  Dealing with proprietary phone tech
support regarding software bugs that i could fix myself  if i had the
code - it is demeaning.  In that world, you rarely have an opportunity
to talk to the programmer, let alone a good tech.

Filing a bug report in Bugzilla and getting a response from one of the
programmers directly responsible - that has happened to me in open
source.  Never happened once as a Win32 developer and user.  There
really is no long lasting great tech support except open source along
with the skill and intelligence we have ourselves and shared over the
internet.  i am more independent that way.  i have more freedom that
way.  i have more time.