[CentOS] sendmail question

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 19:40:35 UTC 2009

Jerry Geis wrote:
>> /
>> You still haven't answered how long nslookup takes to respond with these
>> or your IP addresses.  I think sendmail will ask DNS for an MX record
>> first because that's how mail is supposed to work - then if that fails
>> it goes for an A record or your hosts file.
> Sorry - missed that one .
> nslookup cnn.com comes back fast.
> if I do nslookup mymachine.domain.com it comes back with error.
> How do I make this resolve faster or something. I have no way to make an
> MX record
> for this box. its all just local email. it never leaves the box.

An error that is returned quickly isn't a problem - a timeout of many
seconds is a problem.  How long do the failing responses - and for your
IP addresses and take?

The cleanest approach is to run a local nameserver that is primary for
your local domain (even if it is not official) and your local network
ranges and caches for everything else.

   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com