[CentOS] sendmail question

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Wed Oct 21 19:09:50 UTC 2009

> > >/
> > />>/ That's a few DNS timeouts.
> > />>/
> > />>>/ / I have 127.0.0.1 localhost in the /etc/hosts file.
> > />>/ />/
> > />>/ />/ Very odd, any thoughts?
> > />>/ /
> > />>/ Are you mailing to localhost?
> > />>/
> > />/ I tried:
> > />/ mail panel
> > />/ mail panel at localhost <http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos>
> > />/
> > />/ All the above have the same slow 2 minute delay.
> > />/
> > />/ This is odd.
> > /
> > You still haven't answered how long nslookup takes to respond with these
> > or your IP addresses.  I think sendmail will ask DNS for an MX record
> > first because that's how mail is supposed to work - then if that fails
> > it goes for an A record or your hosts file.
> >
> Sorry - missed that one .
>
> nslookup cnn.com comes back fast.
>
> if I do nslookup mymachine.domain.com it comes back with error.
>
> How do I make this resolve faster or something. I have no way to make an
> MX record
> for this box. its all just local email. it never leaves the box.

You don't need a MX record.  BUT you *should* have a record in the
/etc/hosts file.  I'm assuming you do have an Ethernet card (just not
connected to anything at present), so you need a line like the
following in your /etc/hosts file.

192.168.250.1           sauron.deepsoft.com sauron

replace '192.168.250.1' with the IP address you configured your
Ethernet card to and 'sauron.deepsoft.com sauron' with
'mymachine.domain.com mymachine' (assuming mymachine.domain.com is your
hostname).