[CentOS] sendmail question

Jerry Geis geisj at pagestation.com
Wed Oct 21 19:51:00 UTC 2009

Brent L. Bates wrote:
>      It is not odd.  You just refuse to listen to those trying to help.  How
> many times do they have to say `Check your DNS'?
>      Check your /etc/nsswitch.conf and make sure it has a line like this:
> hosts:	files dns
>      `files' comes FIRST and `dns' LAST.
>      The file /etc/resolv.conf should have a line starting with `domain' and
> have your domain after it.  You should have at least one `nameserver' line.
>  If you are running `named' on your local system then put `'.  You
> can have up to 3 `nameserver' lines.
>      Finally, your /etc/hosts file should have a line like this:
>       localhost loopback me
>      You should also have lines that correspond with each and every IP address
> the system is using.  For example:
>	myhost.mydomain.com myhost
>      List the Fully Qualified Domain Name (FQDN) FIRST and then the short
> name.
>      Use things like `ping' and `nslookup' to make sure DNS is working.  If
> these take forever, 2 minutes for example, your DNS isn't working and you need
> to fix it.
>      One last thing, your mail queue shouldn't be any shorter than 15 MINUTES.
>  If you are sending out the the Internet and it is much shorter, you will
> probably end up on someones SPAM list.

nsswitch.conf has in it the following:

passwd:     files
shadow:     files
group:      files

#hosts:     db files nisplus nis dns
hosts:      files dns

I do not have any domain line in /etc/hosts just 2 nameservers.

/etc/hosts has localhost

I do also have the line with the correct IP for the machine.
IP address space full machine name short name also.