[CentOS] prioritizing repos (was: Re: can't "yum install mplayer" : no libmpcdec.so.3 available)

ken gebser at mousecar.com
Fri Oct 23 18:27:38 UTC 2009

On 10/23/2009 10:22 AM Sharon Kimble wrote:

> 2009/10/23 Ralph Angenendt <ralph.angenendt at gmail.com
> <mailto:ralph.angenendt at gmail.com>>
>
>     On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 2:23 PM, ken <gebser at mousecar.com
>     <mailto:gebser at mousecar.com>> wrote:
>     > mplayer-1.0-0.34.rc1try2.fc6.i386 from freshrpms has depsolving
>     problems
>
>     freshrpms has no packages for CentOS. And never had.
>

> Thats a fedora core 6 rpm which maybe the reason why its not working
> properly.

Hmmm.  Okay.  Too bad.  Thanks for the explanation.  However, I did
successfully install gnumeric using yum from an RPM I got from
freshrpms... a fluke, I guess.

But so mplayer isn't available from CentOS?

I was just looking at a way to prioritize repos so that freshrpms is at
the bottom, i.e., so that it's sought only as a last resort:
<http://wiki.centos.org/PackageManagement/Yum/Priorities>.  But the page
doesn't quite get me all the way.  How do I add an entry for freshrpms
to /etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Base.repo so I can specify a low priority for it?

tia,
ken