[CentOS] prioritizing repos

Brian Kirkman bkirkman at qwest.net
Fri Oct 23 18:52:14 UTC 2009

ken wrote:
> On 10/23/2009 10:22 AM Sharon Kimble wrote:
>>
>> 2009/10/23 Ralph Angenendt <ralph.angenendt at gmail.com
>> <mailto:ralph.angenendt at gmail.com>>
>>
>>     On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 2:23 PM, ken <gebser at mousecar.com
>>     <mailto:gebser at mousecar.com>> wrote:
>>     > mplayer-1.0-0.34.rc1try2.fc6.i386 from freshrpms has depsolving
>>     problems
>>
>>     freshrpms has no packages for CentOS. And never had.
>>

>> Thats a fedora core 6 rpm which maybe the reason why its not working
>> properly.

> Hmmm.  Okay.  Too bad.  Thanks for the explanation.  However, I did
> successfully install gnumeric using yum from an RPM I got from
> freshrpms... a fluke, I guess.
>
> But so mplayer isn't available from CentOS?
>
> I was just looking at a way to prioritize repos so that freshrpms is at
> the bottom, i.e., so that it's sought only as a last resort:
> <http://wiki.centos.org/PackageManagement/Yum/Priorities>.  But the page
> doesn't quite get me all the way.  How do I add an entry for freshrpms
> to /etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Base.repo so I can specify a low priority for it?
>

> tia,
> ken

Ken,
You should have a freshrpms.repo file, or something similar, within the
/etc/yum.repos.d/ directory.  Yum looks for all *.repo files and pulls
from the repos listed within those files.  Within each individual repo
file is where you would designate the priority for it.  You wont need to
alter /etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Base.repo to alter the priority for
freshrpms.  Might I suggest the rpmforge repo instead?  Check out the
following.

http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories/RPMForge#head-20e1f65f19ccf2f5fbf5adb30dbaf5ea963a64ae

Others might disagree, but I've had good luck with rpmforge.

-Brian