[CentOS] Switch to measure traffic at IP level?

aurfalien at gmail.com aurfalien at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 01:28:55 UTC 2009

Couple of diff ways to go about this.

I use Cacti and monitor throughput via SNMP for the dom0.

I also enable SNMP on my switch and monitor throughput of individual
ports.

However if you want granularity like monitoring at the network layer
(IP or layer 3), then you can look at the netflow like plugin (flow-
tools and flow-scan) for Cacti and monitor actual traffic patterns of
individual hosts.

Or get a netflow or sflow collector in general depending on what your
switch supports and enable netflow/sflow just on those ports of
interest, like the one your dom0 is on.