[CentOS] OT: pager pay

Drew drew.kay at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 05:31:52 UTC 2009

> For goodness sake keep a log.
> "On call" jobs often violate state and federal rules
> for exempt and non-exmpt status.   Mileage for the second
> trip to the office should be compensated in some cases.

I've checked with our Provincial & Federal laws and our "Pager Pay"
setup is legal. It should also be noted I'm salaried w/ banked OT and
it's my call what shifts and/or how much extra time I work.

> In some cases the key is the nature of the leash.   If they restrict
> your travel or lifestyle there may be a problem.

I do keep a log, and get it signed off on by our General Manager. In
our company I am the IT department so ultimately, I have to deal with
the problems anyways. My general rule of thumb is that unless it's a
showstopper, I'll wait till Monday to deal with it, at which point
it's back on the regular clock. And when I do go out of town, my
office just has to grin and bear it till I get back.

--
Drew

--Marie Curie