[CentOS] Driver compilation howto.

mark m.roth at 5-cent.us
Sat Oct 31 18:01:41 UTC 2009

Keith Keller wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 01:30:07PM -0400, mark wrote:
>> Rafa³ Radecki wrote:
<snip>
> Some vendors claim that updating your distro will void your warranty/
> support contract.  I had one vendor which claimed that updating the kernel
> to patch a serious security hole would void our contract (though they did
> ''allow'' us to update the rest of the distro).
>
> It turns out, the vendor didn't want to allow users to update the kernel
> because they used the nvidia X11 drivers, and they didn't want to walk users
<snip>
ARGH!!!

That's what I have on my personal machine at work, as do others. About a month,
month and a half ago, an admin (now rolled off) upgraded a bunch of things on
my machine without warning me. That included the nvidia driver... and the new
one did *not* support my older card, and that was another hour to downgrade it,
and fight X to get twinview working again.... I just fought that going up to
5.4 on a machine I was building, and had to build the bloody drivers.

I have no intention of buying nvidia cards, if I can help it.

	mark