[CentOS] Driver compilation howto.

Keith Keller kkeller at speakeasy.net
Sat Oct 31 17:54:54 UTC 2009

On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 01:30:07PM -0400, mark wrote:
> Rafa³ Radecki wrote:
>
>  > Hmm, it is a dedicated distribution with proprietary software :|
>
> What is CenOS, except RHEL with the proprietary parts removed. Therefore, I
> assume that CentOS 4.6 was out in by the fall of '06, which was the point I was
> making.

Some vendors claim that updating your distro will void your warranty/
support contract.  I had one vendor which claimed that updating the
kernel to patch a serious security hole would void our contract (though
they did ''allow'' us to update the rest of the distro).

It turns out, the vendor didn't want to allow users to update the
kernel because they used the nvidia X11 drivers, and they didn't want to
walk users through the process of updating those (which at the time were
linked to the kernel version).  Oy!  If I'd known that, I could have
patched our kernel much sooner, since the nvidia install is pretty
trivial.  Grr, vendors can be frustrating sometimes.

Anyway, this story does have a bit of a point: for the OP, you might
want to check with your vendor on the exact reason why they don't want
you to update.  It might be something you can work around.

--keith

kkeller at speakeasy.net