[CentOS] how can i configure linux as ppp

Fri Oct 9 02:22:54 UTC 2009
Lanny Marcus <lmmailinglists at gmail.com>

On 10/7/09, m.roth at 5-cent.us <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:
>> Now I got another modem but this modem is hardcore the DSL login
>> How can I not use this DSL login and use linux box to  ppp0e  login and pw
<snip>

> I've just gotten DSL for the first time myself (I've had cable
> before)...but the DSL modem I got from Verizon has an ethernet jack. I
> plugged that into my system, and I can ping the modem. *If* I understand
> this, then it seems that the modem is masquerading, NATing, and I don't
> need to do anything like pppoe.
>
> Of course, I'll know more Saturday, when, three weeks after they allegedly
> turned up my phone service, I'll have the outside line fixed so I have
> dialtone....

Once the user name  and password are set in the DSL modem you are
ready to roll. (assuming you have a dialtone and they have configured
your line properly.....)   Our ZTE ADSL modem will do a lot of things,
if I let it. I have it plugged into our IPCop box and then to the
Netgear switch and our home LAN is online.  I do have the ADSL modem
set up to provide DHCP (which we normally get from the IPCop box)  and
I disconnected the IPCop box and connected the ADSL modem directly to
my box, a couple of weeks ago, to be sure  the problem wasn't with my
IPCop box, Switch, etc.  You can set the DNS servers (I use
OpenDNS.com) in the modem. When you connect to it via the web
interface, It will show you the line speed, down and up, so you can
see that you are getting what you are paying for.    :-)