[CentOS] My doubts with apache server on centos installation

Fri Oct 9 07:24:54 UTC 2009
cornel panceac <cpanceac at gmail.com>

2009/10/9 vijay shanker <vijaydshanker at gmail.com>

> Hi Linux geeks,
>
> I have just started to setup a production server with centos; and moved
> from windows server to centos. My first encounter with this great linux
> distro is good.
>
> I am not able to understand what is the point of having scattered folders
> for apache server installation.
>
> when i see the /etc/httpd folder; it has only conf folder and links to
> logs, module and , run. As i have been working on Windows where all these
> files are stored in a single installation folder.
>
> So, this makes me quite confused to start with.
>
> Can anyone tell me what is the idea behind using such a installation
> pattern.
>
> Now i am going to install java, I have two options via RPM and other is
> extracting the distro and use it. i have a feeling if i use first option,
> all the folders like jre and jdk will be palced any where. Not to be found.
>
> Please tell me or point to any relevant link. so i can go ahead without any
> doubt over this issue.

rpm -ql <package name>

will tell you were the package's files are

rpm -ql <package name> | grep conf

will show only those files having 'conf' in their names.
*
for jdk, i use the .bin, not the .rpm. (but i'm only interested in plugin)
*
docs are everywhere but you can start here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem_Hierarchy_Standard

--
Linux counter #213090