[CentOS] My doubts with apache server on centos installation

Fri Oct 9 07:25:58 UTC 2009
Mathieu Baudier <mbaudier at argeo.org>

Hi soon-to-be Linux geek :)

- regarding Apache and more generally most applications in the
Linux/UNIX world, the point of "scattering" the directories is to
separate the location of the various files in order to be able (among
other things) to mount them from various partitions, possibly from the
network.

Most important are:
- /etc : configuration files => changed but not often by administrators
- /usr : binaries of the applications => once they are installed, they
just need to be read (so typically they can be shared between many
physical machines on the network)
- /var : variable data => e.g. database files which get continuously
written, or logs of the application

The fact that /var/www is tha base directory for Apache file is a bit
historical and debated, but is standard (some distributions put it
under /srv, which is for server data).

I am personally a (Java) developer and not a professional Linux admin
(although my desktop and target platforms are Linux) so there are
plenty of people in the list which could be much more precise (and
accurate) than me. But I thought this brief overview woudl be useful.

For more details read:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem_Hierarchy_Standard
http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html

Once you get use to it, you will find it very logical and clean: it
saves a lot of time to have a standard, so that you don't need to
reinvent conventions all the time.

- Regarding Java (which more my field), I definitely encourage you to
use the package.
Since Sun set Java free/open source, they basically share the same
codebase. But the OpenJDK rebuilt and repackaged by the various
distributions are better integrated, and most important much easier to
update!

If you go to the package route though (I personanly still have to
deploy JDK 1.5, 1.4 and even 1.3 from Sun for testing), I recommend
that you unpack them under /opt.

Cheers,

Mathieu