[CentOS] 10 Year old IT Infrastructure

Fri Oct 9 22:57:52 UTC 2009
Bill Campbell <centos at celestial.com>

On Fri, Oct 09, 2009, Shawn Everett wrote:
>Hi Guys,
>
>I have a client who hopes to keep their server another 5 years making it
>10 years old at that time.
>
>At this point there are no plans to add new infrastructure or a new server
>to the mix.  Their business model is fairly static.
>
>I'd like to see them upgrade.  Can anyone suggest specific reasons why
>running a business on 10 year old equipment is a bad thing?
>
>Specific arguments I can think of would be:
>- Hard/Impossible to find replacement hardware
>- Lack of support for both H/W and S/W
>- Possibly unable to run current versions of CentOS
>- Higher probability of hardware failures over time
>- Performance bottlenecks
>
>Any other thoughts?

These are plausible reasons, but may not be in the client's best
interests, assuming that you are monitoring the system for
potential hardware problems and have good, verified backups that
can be used to build a new system quickly if necessary.

We have many commercial clients doing accounting/database things
where the existing hardware and software does everything they
need and want, and their systems are behind good firewalls so
they're not generally exposed to the Internet (and none run
Windows).  They much prefer to put off hardware replacement until
there's some good or compelling reason to do so (e.g. one of our
clients is running SCO OpenServer 5.0.6a on hardware installed in
November 1999, and we're planning on building a CentOS box with
VMware to replace it after first of the year).

Most of our clients are small-to-medium businesses that only work
one shift, not huge enterprises going 24/7 where zero down time
is a must.  Uptimes on these systems is often measured in years,
and outages are mostly due to an Internet connection going down
when the telco screws up.  Hardware updates are usually done by
building a new server in parallel with the production box, then
rsync'ing data over at close-of-business on Friday night with the
weekend available to deal with visits from Mr. Murphy.

Bill
Fax:            (206) 232-9186  Skype: jwccsllc (206) 855-5792

Permit me to issue and control the money of a nation, and I care not
who makes its laws.  -- Mayer Amschel Rothschild