[CentOS] CentOS 5.4? anyone?

Thu Oct 15 21:21:55 UTC 2009
aurfalien at gmail.com <aurfalien at gmail.com>

>>> Oh give me a break. The CentOS developers have consistently
>>> released a
>>> solid distribution. If I have to choose between an arbitrary release
>>> date and a rock solid distribution, guess which way I'm going to go.
>>>
>>> I really think the best way to approach this -- since it appears
>>> to be
>>> an issue every time there is a point release -- is to figure eight
>>> weeks after the Red Hat release. Then you'll be pleasantly surprised
>>> when the release is out sooner than that.
>>

>> Agreed with Ron.
>>
>> I used RHEL5.4, broke a bunch of stuff so I switched back to Centos
>> 5,3.
>>

> Be specific, what "stuff" broke?

I'm not going to talk about my RHEL 5.4 bugs on a Centos mailing list
when Centos 5.4 isn't even out.

But in general;

LSI/ Sun raid card admin software don't work so well in 5.4 on my Sun
boxes.

Bonding and when used with Xen 3.4.1 no work so well.

These were show stoppers for me.

> No, CentOS does not apply any patches that upstream doesn't apply.

Say RHEL releases a bug fix  just before you release, are you able to
incorporate the bug fix immediately or do you wait the 6-8 weeks?

Assuming 8 week cycle;

For example, RHEL releases 2.6.18-164, then you get started on it.

On week 6, RHEL then releases 2.6.18-164.7.

At this time, you are about to release 2.6.18-164 in another 2 weeks;

1 - Are you able to incorporate the fixes in 2 weeks?

or

2 - Are you able to push out your rel date until incorporating to
avoid "here we go again"?

or

3 - Have you ever done this?

This is not meant to be a flame, I enjoy and am very grateful for
Centos however was always curious about this.