[CentOS] Inquiry:External USB modem and Remote PC Access?

Tue Oct 27 06:42:02 UTC 2009
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

hadi motamedi wrote:
> Thank you very much for your reply . According to your message , the
> minicom is not suitable in this regard as I really want remote desktop
> access to my CentOS client located at far site and thus get its
> keyboard & mouse control to issue commands and view Gui . Please do me
> favor and propose for the solutions that can enable my CentOS server
> at the office to get remote desktop access of my CentOS client far at
> the site (the only connections that can be made is through modem
> dialup connections) .

GUI over a 28k dialup?  ouch.      there's no network connection at this
remote site?   its going to be really really slow over dialup.  I'm
talking minutes to paint a screen at 2-3kbyte/sec serial speeds (a
1280x1024 24bit desktop is 3.6 million bytes).     use a really simple
theme on the desktop with no shaded borders, no backgroun graphics
('wallpaper'), etc.    Sending a single full screen 1280x1024
photographic image could take a half hour or more.

FreeNX is probably your best bet.   i've never set it up, so you'll need
to find someone elses HOWTO ...    NX protocol runs over TCP/IP
networking, so you'll be setting up your modem (I still recommend a
serial modem) to answer a PPP dialinn TCP session, which you'll connect
to with a PPP dialup session much as we did for the internet in the days
before broadband.

linux can be completely managed via shell.   NONE of the dozens of unix
servers I manage have any sort of console screen attached to them.