[CentOS] Inquiry:External USB modem and Remote PC Access?

Tue Oct 27 16:27:32 UTC 2009
Todd Denniston <Todd.Denniston at tsb.cranrdte.navy.mil>

John R Pierce wrote, On 10/27/2009 02:42 AM:
> GUI over a 28k dialup?  ouch.      there's no network connection at this
> remote site?   its going to be really really slow over dialup.  I'm
> talking minutes to paint a screen at 2-3kbyte/sec serial speeds (a
> 1280x1024 24bit desktop is 3.6 million bytes).     use a really simple
> theme on the desktop with no shaded borders, no backgroun graphics
> ('wallpaper'), etc.    Sending a single full screen 1280x1024
> photographic image could take a half hour or more.

You Kids and your full desktop hosted back...
back in the day I worked with individual applications across a 9.6kbps connection, and yes it was
slow and had a bit of lag, but it worked well enough to use xemacs and mozilla across.  Also when
hosting the application back, you are not transferring all the pixels, but only the X commands to
draw them, so unless you are running a picture editor/viewer (such as gimp) then a lot less than
your 3.6 million bytes per 1280X1024x24bit will be used.  Granted, running the gimp full screen
across such a link would be a near insane thing.

I was much happier when I discovered `ssh -C` (in combination with X or Y), to host the apps back.
There was still a little lag but overall it was _much_ snappier.

I have yet to use X across a vnc or with freenx so I can't comment on how they compare to `ssh -C`.

--
Todd Denniston