[CentOS] SQL Server 2005 and CentOS?

Ross Walker rswwalker at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 16:36:34 UTC 2009

On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 11:56 AM, Rob Kampen<rkampen at kampensonline.com> wrote:
> One of my clients use a software product that is "upgrading" and will
> shortly utilize micro$oft SQL server 2005.
> Currently the clients are XP on older machines with the database residing on
> a Samba / CentOS server and this works very well.
> Question: Does anyone run SQL server from XP in a virtualbox on CentOS?
> Any other configuration that works on a linux server?
> I do not want to have to buy another server grade machine just for this
> application.

What about Xen or Vmware virtual server running on the CentOS box?

Do they need the full SQL 2005 or will the Desktop/Developer or free edition do?

What about converting the CentOS box to VMware ESXi 4 with a CentOS VM
and a SQL 2005 VM?

If the CentOS box is a good server grade machine with plenty of CPU
and RAM it would perform well with ESXi, then you can do parallel
upgrades of the VMs without additional hardware or downtime.

-Ross