[CentOS] SQL Server 2005 and CentOS?

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Tue Sep 8 17:22:56 UTC 2009

Rob Kampen wrote:
> One of my clients use a software product that is "upgrading" and will
> shortly utilize micro$oft SQL server 2005.
> Currently the clients are XP on older machines with the database
> residing on a Samba / CentOS server and this works very well.
> Question: Does anyone run SQL server from XP in a virtualbox on CentOS?
> Any other configuration that works on a linux server?
> I do not want to have to buy another server grade machine just for
> this application.

SQL Server only runs on Windows SERVER OS's.  on a desktop OS like XP,
youc an only run the 'lite' version aka MSDE or SQL Express depending on
which version, and this only allows a very few database connections, and
is mostly suited for standalone single user applications and software
development.

SQL Server has fairly expensive licensing per user too.

I would NOT virtualize a SQL database server, they have intensive disk
IO I/O requirements.  also don't run a database on a network mounted
file system (samba, NAS, etc) for the same reason.